Thursday, December 6, 2018

Episode #5 - 2018 BAHAMAS!! Great Harbour Cay - Landfall and Day 1


Welcome to the Bahamas!
After departing Rodriquez Key in Florida, I made my landfall at Great Harbor Key for my introduction to the Bahamas for 2018.

It was an easy passage as I buddy boated with two other boats departing the same time as I. 

Weather conditions did not allow me to anchor out as planned so I opted for a couple nights in the very nice Great Harbor Cay Marina. 





It' a little embarrassing to report but somehow I strayed out of the channel on my first day exploring the Bahamas.  As you can see I drifted into shallow waters while on the deck trying to secure things.

Oh the challenges of single handling.  No worries and no harm done.  I waited a few hours for the tide and before long I was back in business.... ever more careful






Little Stirrup Cay offers fine sand beaches and good fishing.



Departing at night can have its challenges.  Dodging cruise ships in the night can be a daunting feat. Thankfully my boat is equipped with A.I.S. (Automatic Identification System) which allows me to monitor the location, speed, and course for these big cruise ships.
Still, trying to identify them and their direction on the night is always a skill to hone.  Can you tell which direction this one is headed?


But eventually morning will break!!  Onward to the Abacos!!







Stay tuned for the next segment.... Little Harbor!

No comments:

Post a Comment